Classes taught by Annmarie Acosta, MA, T.C.R.G.
I am thrilled to have the opportunity to spend the week with our youngest arts
week students. Specializing in teaching traditional Irish music and dance to
children since 1998, I look forward to introducing them to this aspect of our
culture in a fun and creative way.
– Irish Step Dancing/Ceili Dancing
All Students will learn the basics of Irish dance.
* Foot placement (What are our feet supposed to look like?)
* Posture/Carriage (What are our bodies supposed to look like?)
* Timing (How do we fit our steps to the music?)
* Basic Movements (points, swing ups/knee ups/sevens/threes)
* Introductory steps
* What is ceili dancing? How did it/does it fit into our culture?
– Irish Music
* All students will learn basic music theory including how to read the notes on the Treble clef staff (in a very fun way!)
* Students will learn basic vocabulary: tempo/pitch/melody/duet/trio/
* Students will learn to distinguish between major/minor scales
* Students will be exposed to and learn about a variety of instruments
* Students will learn and develop listening skills
* Students will learn about the many different types of tunes that exist
* Students will sing, and learn about how so much of what we will know about Irish history is passed on through song
* Students will learn very basic Irish language
Counting (which will be reinforced while dancing/listening to music)
My name is _______? What is your name?
How are you?
Colors/Animals/food (depending on progess throughout the week)
All students will receive a packet that includes a section for Irish Music, Dance, Song, Language
What should I bring to class?
- YOUR BINDER/FOLDER
- Lunch (including a cooling pack if at all possible)
- Sneakers/Socks (required for dancing)
- Flip Flops/Sandals are not permitted while dancing
Please apply sunscreen in the morning!
What should I expect?
Children to have fun while getting a well rounded introduction to the music, dance, and language of Ireland. There will be games/crafts/and a performance at the end of the week where they will be able to proudly show off their talents.